Stopping the kipmi0 kernel thread?

Kenneth Holter kenneho.ndu at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 07:55:33 UTC 2010

Hello.

A couple of our Dell 1950 running RHEL 5.4 have since a RHEL 5.2 -> 5.4
upgrade (and a reboot) started to have the kipmi0 kernel thread running
(again), consuming 70-90% CPU. As far as I understand, this process is
probably related to Dell Openmanage. Is it so that the Dell Openmanage
processes issues IPMI commands, and the kipmi0 kernel thread is used for
speeding up these commands? If so, I probably shouldn't kill this thread.
But is there a way to make is use less CPU time, since this shows up in our
monitoring software as critical alarms?

Best regards,
Kenneth Holter