How to determine the number of FC HBA cards and their WWN numbers in Redhat.

Eugene Vilensky evilensky at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 02:17:58 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 2:41 PM, unix syzadmin <unixsyzadmin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are running RHEL AS 4 and are going to be assigned EMC SAN storage.
>
> I am asked to provide the WWN numbers to the storage folks in order to
> assign the LUNs.
>
> How can I determine the number of FC HBA cards on the linux and their WWN
> numbers.
>
> Please suggest,
>
> Thanks.

Without answering your question directly, I highly recommend you
obtain all of the necessary client-side software and appropriate
documentation from your SAN team if you plan on implementing this
correctly.  Will this host have multiple paths presented to it?

Your vendor documentation will clearly spell out the requirements for
properly connecting to the san, including how to easily answer your
own question.

To answer your question more directly, without querying any san vendor
or HBA vendor utility, you may be able to read out the port
information through /proc/scsi/[driver]/ hierarchy.

For example on one of my systems:
# cat /proc/scsi/qla2xxx/1
<snip>
SCSI Device Information:
scsi-qla0-adapter-node=200000xxxxxxxxxx;
scsi-qla0-adapter-port=210000xxxxxxxxx;
<snip>