APC Smart-ups "status codes" (slightly OT)

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Jan 29 21:53:58 UTC 2010

We got replacement battery "kits" for some of our APC UPS' (Smart-UPS,
rackmount). I put them into one tray (it's for an RBC 43, which takes 8,
and weighs a ton), and put it in, and let it charge. Idiot "change
battery" led stays on. So I hit the test button, it discharges very
rapidly (a good number of servers on this), and the led stays on.

For some reason, apcupsd's USB test fails, with an HIDDEV i/o error. So I
got rid of the weird APC usb cable, and put in one of their serial cables,
and run the "smart" test (the USB does more), and get results showing
everything's fine.

But the idiot light's still on.

So, looking at all the values that the "apcsmart" choice can give me, the
first thing is UPS status. I've been googling for a while, and can't find
a single reference to it. Anyone have a link to somewhere that will give
me the status codes (and their meaning)?

Thanks in advance.

        mark