oom-killer executes

mark m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Jul 13 11:46:15 UTC 2010

Fran Garcia wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 07:14, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
>> Over the last few days I have noticed that the out of memory killer task
>> keeps getting executed on my RHEL 5.4 system
>>

> Jul 11 18:31:00 truckin kernel: Free swap  = 0kB
> Jul 11 18:31:00 truckin kernel: Total swap = 2031608kB
> Jul 11 18:31:00 truckin kernel: Free swap:            0kB
>
> You're running out of swap, that's why the kernel OOMs.

Except that he's got, what, .7xG of RAM, and 2G of swap. *Why* is it all being
used?

You *might* try strace, or look at what's running when this happens.

	mark, who's had rsync hang a few times since going to 5.5*

* First kernel, then -3. 8 goes in this weekend....

--
"Conservatives engage in one of man's oldest exercises in philosophy; the
search for a moral justification for selfishness."  -- John Kenneth Galbraith