DNS query

Jose R R jose.r.r at metztli.com
Wed Jul 21 19:02:48 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:25 AM, <amiteshsahay at aol.com> wrote:

>  Hello Members,
>
> I have following query :
>
> I have an issue were when irun a dig or a host command on my network using my DNS machines.  I getdifferent information then what DNSSTUFF.com reports.
>
> when i run the following command
> host -t -mx alliance-mktg.com

from GNU/Linux Debian (no -type -mx needed):

$ host  alliance-mktg.com

alliance-mktg.com has address 74.222.47.254

alliance-mktg.com mail is handled by 10 mailscrubber02.networkgci.net.

alliance-mktg.com mail is handled by 10 mailscrubber01.networkgci.net.

> My DNS reports alliance-mktg.com is an alias for resalehost.networksolutions.com
> if i run this command dig alliance-mktg.com

dig  alliance-mktg.com

; <<>> DiG 9.6-ESV-R1 <<>> alliance-mktg.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;alliance-mktg.com.             IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
alliance-mktg.com.      6896    IN      A       74.222.47.254

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
alliance-mktg.com.      172496  IN      NS      ns36.worldnic.com.
alliance-mktg.com.      172496  IN      NS      ns35.worldnic.com.

;; Query time: 10 msec
;; SERVER: [my DNS server]
;; WHEN: Wed Jul 21 11:53:07 2010
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 98

> I get the following ip address 216.168.224.53.
> However when i use DNSSTUFF they report totally different informations
> All this is causing my mailserver to not be able to send email to this domain.
> Cansomeone tell me why MY DNS is reporting different information then thatwhich DNSSTUFF is reporting?  And what my best course of action is toremedy.
>

> Regards,
>
> Amitesh

Start with the simplest DNS configuration. Updates (that reflect your
settings when querying) sometimes take as much 24 hours.

Good luck!

Regards ;)

--
Jose R R