Centralized Log server

Dave Martini martini1 at llnl.gov
Wed Jul 21 22:02:02 UTC 2010

Setting up a centralized RHEL syslog server.
I've set SYSLOGD_OPTIONS="-m 0 -r -x"
in /etc/sysconfig/syslog.

I've set my clients to point to the server in /etc/syslog.conf.

Is there a way to have log info from certain client platforms
go to separate log files on the log server?

For instance, I'd like my Mac OSX clients to send their log
information to a separate log file on my syslog server
than my Linux clients go to.

Both client types however have the same entry in their
/etc/syslog.conf files

*.* 	@syslogserver

So how can it be distinguished?

Is there an entry in the servers /etc/syslog.conf that could
determine if the logs are coming from OSX vs. Linux?

Thanks.
David Martini
LLNL