Argument List too Long

cliff here c4ifford at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 13:19:02 UTC 2010

This is right from the man pages...

basically it takes stdout and you pipe to stdin ... but it basically handles
each argument one at a time instead of in a batch.

find /tmp -name core -type f -print | xargs /bin/rm -f

       Find files named core in or below the directory /tmp and delete
them.  Note that this will work incorrectly if there are any filenames
containing newlines or spaces.

       find /tmp -name core -type f -print0 | xargs -0 /bin/rm -f

       Find  files  named  core in or below the directory /tmp and delete
them, processing filenames in such a way that file or directory names
containing spaces or newlines are
       correctly handled.

       find /tmp -depth -name core -type f -delete

       Find files named core in or below the directory /tmp and delete them,
but more efficiently than in the previous example (because we avoid the need
to use fork(2) and  ex-
       ec(2) to launch rm and we don’t need the extra xargs process).

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 5:39 AM, vipin sagar <sagar.vipin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had a same message[Argument List too Long] on AiX while deleting[rm] a
> bunch of log files start with Y_0*
> And to remove those in one shot I snipped the following.
>
> sagar > find <DIR> -type f -name "Y_0*" -exec rm -f {} \;
>
> This worked for me and still follows the rule 15 * * * * .
>
> Hope that shed some lights for you.
>
> --
> ~O_0~
> ~sagar
> http://vipinsagar.net
> *...i’ve to look back when i heard a gong! i could only see a huge cobweb
> and its shining, just got wonder, what the time it was…*
> *sagar*
>

> On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 9:04 AM, Geofrey Rainey
> <Geofrey.Rainey at tvnz.co.nz>wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm not the original poster but am interested in this thread and in
> > particular the "xargs" command. I'm not familiar with it, what is it and
> > how does one use it?
> >
> > thanks.

NOTICE: This message, including all attachments, is intended for the use of
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message
to its intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
immediately by replying "Received in error" and immediately delete this
message and all its attachments.