semi-OT: preupgrade FC13, and X

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Jun 4 17:22:57 UTC 2010

We are not happy campers. Lessee, it installed the nouveau driver... but
did *not* change /etc/X11/xorg.conf so that it called it, so it hung,
since it tried to start X and couldn't find the driver.

I fixed that. Then I got rid of nouveau, and installed the nvidia driver.

startx works fine. Try to reboot to runlevel 5... and I get a nice splash
screen... and a white, flashing vertical bar, about 1 pixel or so wide,
and maybe 3" or so high. I can *not* get a login window.

So, any clues? Maybe I should change it to KDE. Or maybe just leave it at
runlevel 3....

           mark