Fwd: [rhn-users] How to create startup script which start and stop certain services automatically.

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Jun 30 15:40:55 UTC 2010

Marti, Robert wrote:
> Forwarded because it was off topic on the other list.
>
> Horrible advice. I doubt he boots into runlevel 2. And anything being run
> as ana unit script should at least look like one.  Things like needing a
> start, stop, status...

I agree. I've never heard of anyone running in other than 3 or 5, except
for maintenance at single user. And once he makes a real sysV script, say,
cloned from something else down in /etc/init.d, then he can use chkconfig
to make the links, and service to turn it up and down.

> If you don't want to write a SysV initial script dump it in /etc/rc.local

I would do the former, as I said.

             mark