can a 32 bit process use more than 2GB?

ESGLinux esggrupos at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 09:55:27 UTC 2010

Hi,

I´m reading a post about the memory use for a java application:
http://web.archive.org/web/20080313075240/http://goobsoft.homeip.net/Wiki.jsp?page=JavaDebianTuning

and there is a thing that surprise me:
Read this  and to the point where you understand that a 32-process on Linux
only has 2GB of addressible space. In fact, back in 1999, Linus decreed that
32-bit Linux would never, ever support more than 2GB of memory. "This is not
negotiable."

So I have a machine running RHEL x64 but  I have a process that run over
only 32 bit (the JVM), Reading this I think my process only can use 2Gb of
memory.

is it true? is it  oficial documented anywhere?

Thanks in advance,

ESG