can a 32 bit process use more than 2GB?

Stainforth, Matthew (SD/DS) Matthew.Stainforth at gnb.ca
Wed Mar 17 19:03:09 UTC 2010

> I´m running a 64bit kernel but the application is a 32bit application.
>
> So I suposse that I only can address 4Gb.
>
> But I´m still with the doubt about handling a 5G file. Can´t I open a 5
> GB
> file with the 32bi version of vi? (in the future I will rotate them but
> now
> I have a lot of file of that size and more)

As I said before, there are techniques that applications can use to deal with huge files larger than the available addressable memory.

You would need to check the documentation and/or give it a try yourself to know whether vim specifically is written in this way.

If it can't, do some research and find an editor that can or split the file into smaller pieces.