Screensaver working on the login window

I am trying to find ways to have the screensaver to change the Login window to a blank screen after definite amount of time.

I gather this is not possible unless one allows all logins, network or at the console, to access the console display. Is this true?
Something like  "xhosts *"

We would like to save the computer screens when no one is logged in without depending upon the user to turn off the monitor.

2.6.27.41-170.2.117.fc10.x86_64   with gnome-screensaver
	Fedora system

2.4.21-60.ELsmp					with xscreensaver
	RedHat system