linux auto updater

Ben bda20 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 10 12:09:28 UTC 2010

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010, sun solaris wrote:

> I want to know in Rhel 4 update 4 And Rhel 5.3 how to set software updater
> in linux via yum . this utility says for new update . how to set software
> depositery .

OK, from what I can decypher you're running RHEL4u4 and RHEL5.3.  These use
different software update systems.

RHEL4 - up2date
RHEL5 - yum

Neither are 'automatic' unless you set up a cron job to have them install
updates (although I think you can get RHN to auto-push, I can't remember).
For all versions of RHEL you need to ensure that you have a valid and
current subscription to Red Hat Network to get access to updates.  This is
something you would have paid for.  If you don't want to pay money I would
recommend switching to using CentOS as your operating system.  CentOS is
essentially a free version of RHEL.  This would require reinstalling your
machines as the easiest way to achieve this given my assumption of your
level of knowledge.  Explaining how to get a subscription to RHN is outside
the scope of this email.  However, if you have one, registering your machine
with RHN is something we can work through.  YOU MUST HAVE A VALID PAID-FOR
SUBSCRIPTION BEFORFE TRYING TO USE RED HAT NETWORK.

If you have a valid subscription to RHN, and installed your RHEL operating
system from an authorised RH source, the correct base repository (not
depository) should already be set up for you.

For RHEL4 simply run the command "up2date".  For RHEL5 the command is "yum".
Both have extensive man pages both on your OS and on the web.  Using them is
very straightforward.

Have fun.

Ben
         Life Is Short.          It's All Good.