RE: can a 32 bit process use more than 2GB?

PAE kernels are still limited to a 4GB address space at the process level even though they can address more than 4GB system-wide.  So no, PAE does not solve the problem.  Anyhow, I believe the original post said a 64 bit kernel was in play but the application itself is still 32 bit.