Re: Suse Linux to Red Hat Linux migration

AIX Tiger wrote:

> I want to migrate my applications from Suse Linux Enterprise server 10 to
> RHEL V5.3
>
> Is there any smooth tool available for doing that? Most of applications
> are PHP & mysql based. Will normal tar backup from source system (
> application/DB filesystems only) and restore will work or we have to do
> some additional tasks?

No. You want to treat it as though you were doing a full release upgrade -
back up everything, and a clean install. Some of your apps may need
configuration changes - there are minor differences in what's stored where
(as opposed to ubuntu, which stores stuff in *very* different places).

   mark, openSuSE 10.3 -> CentOS 5.3, last fall