Which version?

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed May 5 19:26:06 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 08:58:47AM -0500, Burke, Thomas G. wrote:
> Hey, all...  Got a question (sorry, it's been a while):
>

> I'm going to install on an older platform - PIII 500MHz machine.  I
> think it's got ~1GB mem, and a couple gigs hard disk.  Which is the
> right version for the install?  Will Fedora 12 fit on this box?  This
> will be my kids' machine, so internet surfing, maybe some light word
> processing, flash games, etc, and maybe whatever silly games might come
> in the distro.

You might expect that a significantly OLD version would work better on
an older machine (and it's not impossible), HOWEVER, for a machine that
may ever be connected to the internet you should NOT use a significantly
old version because it won't be getting security updates and will then
be more vulnerable than a newer one that is kept patched.

while it may be slow on that machine (but so would an old version) I'd
recommend whatever is newest for the distro you're interested in.

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding