Matlab throwing errors about not finding libXp.so.6

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Fri May 14 01:24:44 UTC 2010

On Thu, 13 May 2010, Bay E. Grabowski wrote:

> /opt/MATLAB/bin/glnxa64/MATLAB: error while loading shared libraries:
> libXp.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> I am running the 64-bit version of RHEL and Matlab. I tried to install
> libXpm, but that did not solve the problem. Running "locate libXp" reveals
> that only libXpm.so.4 was available to the system. Can anyone help?

xorg-x11-deprecated-libs formerly hend libXp.so.6

note that libXpm != libXp -- the former deals with xpm
pixmaps, the latter with print clients

http://www.x.org/archive/X11R6.8.1/doc/libXp.3.html

I'd check with your vendor on this --- a LSB confirmant
package should not be asking for this any more

-- Russ herrold