Multipath I/O stats

Yong Huang yong321 at yahoo.com
Mon May 24 17:57:14 UTC 2010

> Not nessacarily. If you advertise one 10 disk LUN from the SAN,
> the OS will see it as one disk, and multipath can make multiple
> paths to the same "disk". That's 10 spindles in one disk, which,
> if they're fast or SSD, will saturate a fiber link.

OK. I agree. Now a slightly different issue. Currently multipath load
balance allows only one path to be used at any given moment, chosen
in a round-robin fashion. Unless multiple paths are allowed to read
simultaneously, the bottleneck is on the single path when the "disk"
is faster. This makes "load balance" meaningless.

If the "disk" is slower, even future implementation of multiple paths
simultaneous read doesn't help in the sense of load balance because
the bottleneck is on the "disk".

Yong Huang