new to redhat

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Nov 16 19:13:43 UTC 2010

Matty Sarro wrote:
> Welcome! RH9 is a touch old, you may want to look into getting a newer
> version of A) centOS or B) fedora. Cent is free (as in beer and speech)
> and is basically the same thing as RH minus the brandings and support.
Fedora
> is actually created by red hat as their test bed for new features, so when
> the features make it into Red Hat enterprise they can have a few years of
> vetting by the community to ensure that they're robust and mature.

Yeah, I went up from RH9 (shrike) about 4 years ago. Fedora... to call a
spade a spade, fedora is bleeding edge, not leading edge. 14 beta *seems*
to be working ok on the one box I've put it on, but I *HATED* FC13 - same
workstation, all kindsa problems. And it crashed with kernel panics
several times in the 3-4 months it was on it.

      mark