Lots missing

Barry Brimer lists at brimer.org
Thu Nov 18 17:03:38 UTC 2010

Quoting lcf004 <lincoln.fessenden at jefferson.edu>:

> Matty Sarro wrote:
> > Out of curiousity, I appear to be missing other items missing. Were these
> in
> > other emails on the list? I'm considering getting an eval of 6, and I'd
> like
> > to see what else has been left out from 5.5. Atm I only see 2 things
> > (installer and yum-updatesd), which doesn't seem to qualify as lots. Could
> > you let me know what else you're seeing missing?
> >
> > -Matty
>
> Actually, the installer encompasses a lot of what's missing.  Things
> like not asking for the registration number, not asking for installation
> types, not giving me the ability to change authentication,
> firewall/selinux, system services during the installation (via that
> first boot menu).  Missing ksh but installable.  Forced TLS on LDAP
> auth.  Different LDAP auth files/locations. And the killer one for me is
> still no boot.iso.  There are probably a lot more I haven't encountered
> yet but that is the majority of my notes so far.

Red Hat does provide a boot iso in RHN.  For (32-bit x86) servers it is called
rhel-server-6.0-i386-boot.iso and for (32-bit x86) workstations it is called
rhel-workstation-6.0-i386-boot.iso.  Are you getting your media from RHN or
another source?  Installation numbers appeared in RHEL 5 and was used to
configure the installer to allow you to use the packages you were licensed to
use.  RHEL 3 and 4 didn't have this because they were packaged/sold separately.
 RHEL 2.1 included the license for it but was installed separately.  In RHEL 6
these are add-ons.  I doubt it makes sense to have an installation number for
RHEL, and Resilient Storage and Load Balancing, etc.  Forced TLS on LDAP while
it may differ from previous releases is a best practice.  Sending unencrypted
credentials across the network is not a good idea.  I've never had a problem
with installing software I need to use, and ksh is no exception.