FC14, and ati proprietary drivers - SOLVED

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Nov 30 16:19:31 UTC 2010

m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Ok, folks,
>
>    I just upgraded someone's box from FC12 to 14, and was trying to
> rebuild the proprietary ATI video driver (the card's a Radeon HD 3600,
> and no, no one's going to hit the budget for a new video card). I d/l
> both ati_catalyst_10.7b_opencl1.1_linux_sep21.zip and
> FirePro_8.773_Linux_105604.zip, and after grief trying to build the
> newer, then the older, I looked in the docs, and they both seem to go
> up to FC10 (even though they're both allegedly more recently updated).
> I tried overriding them - they can't even correctly detect the
> now-renumbered xorg (7.1.1 is now 1.9.1).

Never mind. I luckily had saved the old one on another machine, and once I
had the Magic Name to google for (the AMD/ATI website was *very* less than
helpful; I didn't want ati-catalyst or Fire-blah-blah, I needed
"ati-driver-installer", I got the latest, d/l, built it, and it worked.
it left the screen with unrecoverable garbage, but a reboot brought it up
correctly.)

        mark