use smtp / postfix + ssh to send a remote server's log

sunhux G sunhux at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 14:27:47 UTC 2010

On our Linux RHES4.x box, I've seen a vendor issuing
"telnet localhost 25"
helo ...
subject...
... content ...
quit (or exit or end?)

to send out mails to say a yahoo addr from our Linux box.

I'll need the exact commands in a Shell script to do :
ssh to a remote server to do "tail -f
/app/servers/slapd-hostname/logs/errors | grep -i replication"
if there's a replication message that appears in the log of the remote
server (which
does not have SMTP/postfix running in it), then email out the line of text
from the log
with replication message asap (within 30 secs)  to xxxx at yahoo.com &
yyyy at yahoo.com

Note that our current SMTP/Postfix server can't ssh using public+private
keys to the remote server, just using password authentication, so the
ssh session once logged in to the remote box has to be left open/logged in
constantly