RHELv4 and v5 - So slow as to be unusable.

Gary E Barnes gebarnes at us.ibm.com
Wed Oct 6 19:22:37 UTC 2010

The machines are both Pentium-4's, around 6 years old, 2Gb memory and IDE
disks.  Runlevel is 6 (full GUI).  No obvious errors are showing up in
/var/log/messages or in dmesg.  I have three machines in another room that
are the same model, upgraded the same way, that seem to be happy.  Those
machines are only used remotely and not generally from their consoles.

"top" says that nothing is going on although the load average is 3+.
"sar" also says that nothing is going on.

Yesterday I turned off the BIOS power management (so no disks spin down
and
no monitors turn off and such).  I also changed the /etc/ntp.conf to more
closely match the latest ".rpmnew" version from Red Hat.  It references
our
company's itnernal ntp servers but otherwise it is out-of-the-box from Red
Hat.  And I thought that maybe I had found something in doing that.  The
machines ran fine all the rest of the day.

Then at about 7:18pm last night both machines essentially stopped working.
I had "sar" running on the one machine dumping data every 30 seconds.
According to the sar output, at about 7:01pm last night that machine
essentially stopped having any work to do.  Disk activity went to near
zero,
the machine went to 99.99% idle, there was network activity every once in
while, the occassion hint of I/O activity but nothing else.

The user on that machine was logged in remotely and they said that at
about
7:15pm last night the connection suddenly got so slow that they couldn't
work any more.  The other machine was not actively in use at the time
although the user was logged in and the screen locked.

This morning coming in, both machines still thought it was about 7:18pm.
The "date" was the day before at 7:18pm (give or take depending on which
machine) and the /usr/sbin/hwclock was correct about the actual time.

As a separate problem, last evening I discovered that NFS mount points
being
exported from all of the RHELv4 machines can be mounted by Solaris v6, v7,
v8, and v9 machines but Solaris v10 machines, both Sparc and X86 based,
are
unable to mount the RHELv4 mount points.  And there are no errors in
/var/log/messages.  HP, SGI, and AIX machines can mount those points, but
not Solaris 10.

I may have "fixed" the RHELv5 version of the problem.  I had noticed that
netstat was reporting around 2200 TIME_WAIT sockets, nearly all for the
NIS
or DNS servers.  I find that by setting the systcl tcp_tw_reuse flag to 1
(default is 0 on RHELv3, RHELv4, and RHELv5) that the number of sockets in
TIME_WAIT drops to what I see on other machines *and* the RHELv5 machine
no
longer develops its version of the slowdown problem.

If I can ever get one of the problem RHELv4 machines to run a netstat
while
the slowdown effect is in effect I'll have to see if something similar
helps
there.  It is hard to get their "attention" when the slowdown effect is
going
on.  It can be done but have coffee handy.

   Gary