HAL daemon issue on Red Hat Linux 5

johan.segers at ext.ec.europa.eu johan.segers at ext.ec.europa.eu
Mon Oct 11 13:19:23 UTC 2010

Hi,

There is a problem which looks like a Linux problem on Hyper-V (We don't have this behaviour on a Xen) which I only noticed now where a process called hald-addon-storage wakes up every xx seconds and eats CPU power and goes to sleep again. It looks like a known bug on certain virtualization platforms. The only solution I found is by killing the process but this is not a real solution. The hald process is responsible for the cdrom on Linux. For some reason it thinks there is something in the cdrom and polls it every few seconds. Killing it stops this.

Conifguration: I run Red Hat Linux 5.4 - x64 on MS Hyper-V Windows 2008-R2

Is there a bug fix for this ? Or is there a by-pass that is reliable to lean on ?

What does Red hat proposes in this situation ?

Many thanks !

Johan