Find MAC address stored in NIC firmware

Yong Huang yong321 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 21 19:14:45 UTC 2010

> dmidecode will show you the real hardware MAC address.
> If you're using bonding you can also see it in /proc/net/bonding/bondX,
> this lists both the permanent address and the active one.

urgrue,

You're right about /proc/net/bonding/bondX. I just checked. It has
"Permanent HW addr", which is NOT changed by `ifconfig .. hw ether ...'.
This at least serves as a workaround for those interfaces I have bonding
on. Thank you!

I can't get dmidecode to show the real MAC address. BTW, I got in touch
with an author of ethtool. He provided a patch to expose perm_addr as a
command line option for ethtool. I haven't run patch for too many years
so for now I'm just waiting for the patched source to be available.

Yong Huang