problem accessing directories under /var/www/html

Grzegorz Witkowski geslinux at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 19:30:50 UTC 2010

Security? ;) And you can have non-public and public files easily in the same
folder.
Regs,
Ges

On 22 Oct 2010 20:24, "Ramsey, Robert L" <robert-ramsey at uiowa.edu> wrote:

Someone contacted me off list about this.  It's the default SELinux
configuration that's causing the problem in both 5 and 6 beta.

For some reason, if you drag a folder or tar creates the folder, SELinux
sets the permissions to disallow reading by httpd, even if the files are
owned by the apache group and have g+r on them.  I right clicked on the html
folder and changed the SELinux Context to "Read from all httpd scripts and
the daemon" and that fixed it.

Unfortunately I can't remember the exact default phrase in the SELinux
Context, and none of the options I see now look right.  It was a real phrase
like "Read from all httpd scripts and the daemon," but all I have options
for are things like httpd_user_content_t or httpd_user_contentt_ra_t.

It's easy enough to fix, but I am very curious to know the reasoning behind
making that setting the default.

Bob