LVM

sub at nryc.fr sub at nryc.fr
Sun Oct 24 08:37:17 UTC 2010

Le 24/10/2010 07:38, Unix Administrator a écrit :
> Hi,
> Need some procedural steps for removing disks which are used in LVM,

"pvmove" should be what you are looking for.

First you need to add a new disk storage at least as big as the one
being used.

> pvcreate /dev/sdNEW

Then you need to add these disk to the same VG of the disk you want to
get rid of :

> vgextend vgX /dev/sdNEW

Finally you move the old disk data to the new one :

> pvmove /dev/sdOLD /dev/sdNEW

If you need to move just a LV on the PV and not the whole PV you can use
the "-n" option :

> pvmove -n <LV_NAME> /dev/sdOLD /dev/sdNEW

Then you can delete the PV and delete the disk hosting the PV. If you
can't because it's on an active VG, use "vgreduce" to push the PV out of
the VG.

> vgreduce vgX /dev/sdOLD

These method has the advantage of moving the data with the filesystem
mounted and active.

> further these are disks from the SAN. The other wall i have hit is
> some of them come from vaware storage pools. I cannot stat the wwid's
> of these devices. How do i exactly pinpoint to the vmdisk and tell the
> vm admin which one i'm getting rid of.
> Environment is RHEL 4 and 5

Well, you should have keep tabs of which VMware storage going where!

Nicolas