Windows to Linux File Transfer (Automatically)

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Oct 25 17:05:59 UTC 2010

Mertens, Bram wrote:
> I would recommend against FTP as it (at least with all ftp clients I've
> seen and used) doesn't provide clear feedback in case of problems.  At
> least not by means of return codes etc. you can check on.
>
> I've seen several implementations where the output is parsed to implement
> some form of checking.
>
> Using rsync would also be recommendation.  As stated it allows to use a
> secure connection, is robust and if conversion from dos2unix is needed
> simply add it as a step in the cron job.
> I haven't tested this but if I remember correctly dos2unix doesn't touch
> binary files or files which are already in unix format.  So it's safe to
> run on a bunch of files after every run.

I agree - in fact, I said rsync in about the fourth response. ftp, if not,
say, sftp, is *completely* insecure. rsync runs on both windows and Linux
(and everything else), works *very* nicely, gives you warm fuzzy feedback
if you like, and can easily be set to copy only changed files... which is
how we do our online and offline backups.

       mark