Subject: sendmail domain configuration as Message 9

Allen, Jack Jack.Allen at mckesson.com
Wed Sep 1 17:38:10 UTC 2010

Allen, Jack wrote:
> John:
> 	Yes I tried that. The problem is when my system connects to the
ISP mail
> server it send the hostname. Even if the host name is simple the
system
> domain is added and that is what the ISP mail server uses to validate.

Are you supposed to be getting a hostname from the ISP?

       mark

=========

No, my ISP does not provide a hostname.

	Maybe I did not explain the problem clearly. I have a cable
modem connected to a router. The ISP provides an IP Address to the
router via DHCP. That would be on the WAN side of the router. On the LAN
side of the router I am using 10.11.12.X for my systems. The router is
10.11.12.254 and my Linux system is 10.11.12.1 and the PCs are
10.11.12.2 and 10.11.12.3 and the home automation device is 10.11.12.4
and TIVO is 10.11.12.5. I have DNS (named) running on my Linux system
with the domain name of my_domain.network. The Linux system is setup to
relay email to the ISP. When the Linux system connects to the ISP mail
servers it tells it the connection is from linux.my_domain.network which
is validated and determined not to be a valid domain, which it is not. I
want the ISP mail server to see the connection form linux.my_domain.net
which is a valid registered domain. But using masquerading is not doing
that.

	I have looked at the sendmail source and when it first starts it
get the hostname and assigns the value to $k. There does not seem to be
anything that changes that value when doing masquerading and the value
of $k is what is sent to the ISP mail server as the domain.

-----
Jack Allen