Hardware Problem with a USB device port

Doll, Margaret Ann margaret_doll at brown.edu
Fri Sep 10 17:36:33 UTC 2010

  I had a totally mysterious problem involving one
of the mounted partitions: an external USB RAID.
I was logged into the ge233 account last night
and everything was fine; when I came in this
morning and did an ls this is what I got:

.../class4/ge233> ls
ls: reading directory .: Input/output error

When I checked for the device file (/dev/sdb1) it was
totally gone. I rebooted and got the following msg
on reboot:
 usb 1-6: device descriptor read/64, error -110

and
 Resource Conflict - PCI mass storage controller in slot 01
Bus:04, Device:00, Function:00

The first few times to reboot failed, even when I dropped into
run level 0 and tried to fsck /dev/sdb1. It just wasn;t there.
I finally plugged the drive into a different USB slot and it
worked ok.
 But this was all very alarming. I couldn't find anything in
the log files which indicated a fault, nor in dmesg.

 Any thoughts?

1.  Where can I find more information about the error.?  I assume that this
is a hardware error with the USB port.
2.  If this is a software error, how can I get the storage controller in
working order?

Thanks.

1.