Ownership doesnt work on webdir

James Corteciano james at linux-source.org
Thu Sep 2 05:23:24 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have this webroot /webdir/ with 2775 permission so that any created
file/directory by apache inside of /webdir/ will be 'users:webusers'.
However, I noticed when the apache created a new files (fileB) / directories
(dirB), the ownership becomes 'apache:apache' and the sgid has gone for
/webdir/ (drwxrwxr-x). I'm currently using Wordpress.

[before]
drwxrwsr-x  users webusers /webdir/
drwxrwsr-x  users webusers /webdir/dirA
-rw-rw-r--  users webusers /webdir/fileA

[after]
drwxrwxr-x  users webusers /webdir/
drwxrwxr-x  apache apache /webdir/dirB
-rw-rw-r--  apache apache /webdir/fileB

Why the sgid bit doesn't reflected and the group as well? Has anyone knows
how to fix this?

Thanks.

Regards,
James