Re: Compiling Kernel

On 09/14/2010 11:07 AM, Masoom Siddiqui wrote:
Hi,

Did anyone ever had the need to compile kernel for specific reasons? I'd
like to know of possible scenarios where a company requires something
specific. I'm guessing this would be beyond web and email hosting.
There are a few scenarios where this is done. If you need a specific patch due to security issues or added functionality ( fye GRSEC). Or if you need to remove or add features from the kernel (there are a million options in the kernel, some needed and not needed for various implementations) Or if you want to just have the latest stable kernel. On 32 bit systems, a recompile can be needed for hugemem support. The last time I recompiled my kernel, it was due to a specific bug that affected the kernel I was running. I didn't want to roll back though due to secuity implications, so I compiled the latest stable kernel. Keep in mind though, in the RedHat world if you recompile your kernel I believe the OS is unsupported until you are using a stock kernel, so use it only when necessary.