User Auditing

Marti, Robert RJM002 at shsu.edu
Thu Sep 23 15:41:53 UTC 2010

I'm a fan of auditing root keystrokes and shipping them off the box - you can see what happens if your server gets compromised or if you have a disgruntled employee by setting up alerts on the log correlation box.  Plus it allows a historical view of an event that bash_history doesn't always - especially if the admin doesn't use a shell that has a history.  Auditing normal users, however, typically isn't worth it.

Rob Marti
Systems Administrator
Sam Houston State University
936-294-3804 // rob at shsu.edu