Community opinion for new MTA

Harry Hoffman hhoffman at ip-solutions.net
Tue Apr 26 16:08:09 UTC 2011

Postfix is the way to go :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com]
On Behalf Of John Nichel
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 10:39 AM
To: redhat-list at redhat.com
Subject: Community opinion for new MTA

Hi all,

  I've been a long time user of qmail, but I'm looking for opinions on
other MTA's.  Currently I admin two qmail servers and I have a need to
migrate one of those to a newer machine.  I could stay with qmail, being
that I'm extremely familiar with it, but the fact that it hasn't been
updated in years (and doesn't look like it ever will be), I'm open to
moving to more current MTA's.  The sever would have to support the most
common things, like multiple domains (ability to route based on domain
and such), the ability to relay and/or run scripts configurable down to
the user at domain level, being able to handle a mailing list of 250k
subscribers (as long as we can inject to the send), the ability to set
different header elements like 'reply to' and 'bounce' addresses, etc.
Time is kind of short for me, so if I'm to go with anything other than
qmail, it can't have a steep learning curve for getting the basics up
and running.  Thanks for your opinions in advance.

--

John C. Nichel IV

System Administrator

KegWorks