Recover after fixes RH Enterprise 4

I was asked by management what is the recovery of
our RH systems to issues introduced by the
use of the fix installation  program 'up2date' .

My reply was - in almost all cases - is to call
support to help determine the failing component,
and to either back out the failing rpm , or to
obtain a fix.

These systems are 'real' , not virtual systems,
And we use EMC  Networker for backup.

What are others doing, and can I be pointed the
right direction in respect to this issue ?

JYard
UCLA