sudo access - proper method?

Matty Sarro msarro at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 18:53:16 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 2:39 PM, Matty Sarro <msarro at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Matty Sarro <msarro at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thank you for the pointer guys. Just curious; I did add the user to
>> the wheel group as well.
>> I expected the users who weren't added to wheel to not be able to su
>> to root. Is this a departure from BSD's implementation of the wheel
>> group?
>>
>> -Matty

>>> Rhoit, don't top post.
>>>
>>> Matty: ABSOLUTELY, USE visudo - do *not* just edit it. visudo does syntax
>>> checking, and so when you get out, you can be reasonably sure you won't be
>>> locked out....
>>>
>>>       mark
>>>
>>> --
>>>

> Also, sorry for the top post, I didn't realize gmail did that by default. Oops.
> --Matty

Thanks all, I figured out what I needed.
First, I added the user to wheel group.
Second, I gave them sudo privilege .
Third, I made it that all users of wheel can use sudo in /etc/sudoers
Fourth I modified /etc/pam.d/su and uncommented the line requiring
users to be in wheel to run su.

Greatly appreciated!