Multipath to two different devices?

urgrue urgrue at bulbous.org
Thu Apr 28 17:09:52 UTC 2011

Is it possible?
By this I mean, I have a SAN disk, and it's mirrored to another storage
system, synchronously, as companies tend to do.
The mirrored copy is normally offline, so in case of SAN failure, we
actually have to do some rescanning or even rebooting to get back
online.
Would it be possible to instead have the mirrored copy read-only, and
configure multipath to treat the active LUN and the passive readonly
copy, as one disk? Thus allowing it to handle failover gracefully (well,
reasonably gracefully)?
Anyone done this?