Convert CentOS 5.6 to RHEL 5.6

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Aug 24 14:22:43 UTC 2011

Chi Chan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know it is not politically correct to mention Oracle Linux on a
> Redhat mailing list, and a lot of people don't like Oracle, but it
> might be one option for ESG.
>
> Oracle's Linux support program offers RHEL users to join without
> reinstalling (something that Redhat does not offer), and it is less
> expensive too. I am not sure about Centos support from Oracle, but I
> believe it is something that is not difficult to do (at least IMO
> Redhat should do it, as Redhat likes to think that it is less evil).

<snip>
It is less evil. And going to Oracle Linux means dealing with Oracle
support... or, lack thereof, and utterly uncoordinated support, for very
small values of "support".

It took me a *month* to get a box fixed, and that included two weeks
emailing with an engineer in Chile, and three separate managers "taking
ownership" of the issue....

Don't go there.

         mark