Convert CentOS 5.6 to RHEL 5.6

Chi Chan chichan2008 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 18:00:03 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Matty Sarro <msarro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oracle linux has been pretty much blacklisted by red hat. That's why a
> number of changes were done to how red hat pushes out kernel patches;
> specifically to stymy their efforts.

( Hmm, now it becomes an Oracle Linux discussion... which is not what
I originally intended. :-P )

So tell me how Redhat is less evil -- isn't opensource supposed to be
no vendor lockin? So if Redhat is doing this, then customers are
locked into RHEL.

A lot of people say that Oracle does not have deep knowledge in Linux,
as Oracle Linux is just a clone of RHEL -- however, Oracle internally
uses Oracle Linux for most its software development. I don't think a
typical environment is much more complex than the ones inside Oracle
(Oracle Linux is used to develop Oracle Database, Fusion Middleware,
Oracle Grid Engine, E-Business Suite and other Oracle Applications on
Oracle Linux -- according to Oracle). Oracle develops its own
enhancements for Oracle Linux as well, not to mention Oracle's own
kernel. I don't believe Oracle engineers calling Redhat support for
technical issues.

And Oracle was able to roll out Oracle Linux 6 a week or 2 after RHEL
6 release, while the wait for CentOS 6 was months long.

I know that many people hate Oracle, but simply saying that Oracle
Linux does not work / not as good / not worth the $ is not fair to
Oracle (or any others, as we know that Redhat wrote around 10% of the
patches in the kernel, 90% of the code was developed by IBM, Intel,
AMD, and even Oracle -- eg. BtrFS, OCFS). Oracle enhances Linux and
uses Linux for Exadata and ExaLogic.

--Chi