mutt / Linux mail client equivalent of Outlook rules

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Tue Aug 2 00:26:31 UTC 2011

On 01Aug2011 12:34, Stephen Gilbert <linuxelf at gmail.com> wrote:
| Check out procmail.  I think it'll do just what you want.
| On Aug 1, 2011 12:31 PM, "sunhux G" <sunhux at gmail.com> wrote:

To make things more clear: mutt is a mail reader.
Procmail is a mail filer, which will apply rules to a set of messages.
There are other tools that collect messages (eg from pop or imap, like
the tools fetchmail and getmail) and will hand them to procmail for
filing.

You can refile things in mutt, but it tends to be fairly manual:
limit/tag message matching a mutt pattern, move those messages to
another folder, etc.

But automatic and regular filing of you email wants something like
procmail, attached so som mail collecting tool like fetchmail or
getmail.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

So the master hit the novice upside the head with the back of his hand.
"Why did you do that!?"  "I do not want to have to learn another editor."
And the student was enlightened.        - Larry Colen <lrc at netcom.COM>