Convert CentOS 5.6 to RHEL 5.6

Chi Chan chichan2008 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 13:52:11 UTC 2011

Hi,

I know it is not politically correct to mention Oracle Linux on a
Redhat mailing list, and a lot of people don't like Oracle, but it
might be one option for ESG.

Oracle's Linux support program offers RHEL users to join without
reinstalling (something that Redhat does not offer), and it is less
expensive too. I am not sure about Centos support from Oracle, but I
believe it is something that is not difficult to do (at least IMO
Redhat should do it, as Redhat likes to think that it is less evil).

I am not an Oracle employee, and I am not even an Oracle customer
(Oracle Linux is free for download and use, so far I have not paid
even a dollar to Oracle). I use Oracle Linux like others use Centos,
and in fact some open-source projects use Oracle Linux as their build
machines, like the Open Grid Scheduler (which is the open-source
version of Sun Grid Engine, and the project renamed itself after
Oracle closes the Sun deal). As some users use Oracle's own kernel, so
it is easier to build and install test binaries on Oracle Linux, test
with the RHEL compatible kernel, then reboot to the Oracle Unbreakable
kernel, and test the binaries again. It is way better than to test the
code on 2 different machines.

--Chi