Convert CentOS 5.6 to RHEL 5.6

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Aug 24 16:57:09 UTC 2011

Chi Chan wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 10:22 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>> It is less evil. And going to Oracle Linux means dealing with Oracle
>> support... or, lack thereof, and utterly uncoordinated support, for very
>> small values of "support".
>>
>> It took me a *month* to get a box fixed, and that included two weeks
>> emailing with an engineer in Chile, and three separate managers "taking
>> ownership" of the issue....
>
> I also know someone who has good experience with Oracle.
>
> Even the free support on the Oracle Forums (at:
> https://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=822 ) is good --
> so far I've posted 3 questions, and 3 of them were answered by the
> Oracle employees within a week.

Um, right. Meanwhile, this box was under warranty, and had hardware
issues. And when I complained that the engineer in Chile was being pulled
off to respond to other issues, and so sometimes I'd get several emails a
day, other times, I'd email results of tests, and it would take him 2-3
days to get back to me, I got a new engineer... WHO ONLY WORKED NIGHTS.

As a comparison, I had a similar problem with a Dell box, and there was an
FE out within two weeks, *and* one manager had "taken ownership", *and*
when I had a problem a couple months later with another box, that same
manager contacted me. My manager and co-worker have had similar, though
not quite as extreme, experiences with Oracle, and we have *no* intention
of buying Sun/Oracle ever again.

         mark