WINE crossover to run winscp for ASCII mode files transfer

Jonathan Billings jsbillin at umich.edu
Sat Aug 27 21:07:55 UTC 2011

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 10:09:52PM +0800, sunhux G wrote:
> > This is what I don't understand.  Why not just use the OpenSSH SCP/SFTP
> > stuff which is almost certainly already installed to copy this file over
> > from wherever?  Then all you need is to set up SSH keys and have a script
> > similar to:
> I have an RHES 4.x box with ssh/sftp/scp client & I need to do ASCII mode
> files transfer to/from a remote Windows Openssh server (customer-owned)..
> Honestly I don't understand why management doesn't allow me to touch
> the original datafile; not even make a copy of the datafile, convert & then
> send it over to the remote Windows server;  & on the remote Windows server,
> there's checksum files which I'll need to get over in ASCII but not
> allowed to ssh into the server.
> > Can you explain why you have to use WinSCP?
> WinScp supports both binary & Ascii mode files transfer but I'm not
> sure if it does this at command line prompt (ie  winscp /script=file ...)

It isn't clear how this is an actual answer.  RHEL can read/write
files with DOS newlines.  The SCP protocol doesn't care about the text
structure, it just copies binary files.  WinSCP apparently does the
dos2unix conversion internally, but it's being done client-side, not
in the protocol.  Running unix2dos before copying with scp isn't any
different.

However, if management is forcing you to use a windows client to copy
files (with no understanding of the technicalities), perhaps you would
just be better off using a windows system to copy these files?
Getting WINE and WinSCP seems like an unnecessary hack.  Is there a
reason why you are introducing the Linux system into this situation?

--
Jonathan Billings <jsbillin at umich.edu>