fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/datavg/optOracle

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Aug 31 14:26:07 UTC 2011

unix syzadmin wrote:
<snip>
> My OS file-systems are created on sysvg volume group based on internal
> disk. I am creating  user file-systems on datavg based on EMC SAN disk.
>
> While in the maintenance shell I could not see any entries for datavg or
> its logical volumes in /dev.
>
> So I re-mounted the / file-system (mount -o remount,rw /); edited the
> /etc/fstab and commented out all the mounts for logical volumes on the
> datavg.
>
> After this the system booted fine.
>
> Strangely after the system booted; I see all the entries for datavg and
> its logical volumes in /dev.
> Also datavg is online and I can mount all file-systems  without any
> issues.
<snip>
> I guess the system is having problem to recognize the powerpath disk
> "emcpowera" during boot.  That is why it is not able to recognize the
<snip>
Seems to me that your problem is that the drivers for the SAN disk are not
loaded when it tries to mount them. By not having them automount, the boot
proceeds, including loading those drivers later in the process.

I'd suggest identifying them, and having them load earlier, or perhaps a
new initrd that includes them.

        mark
       mark