Patching Red-Hat to a specific version.

Matty Sarro msarro at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 16:31:24 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 11:18 AM, cliff here <c4ifford at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys and gals,
>
> This might be a simple question but it's in a scenario that I haven't had
> to deal with with before. I'm about to enter testing process where all of
> my (four) redhat boxes need to be the same version. Well right now I have
> three 5.6 hosts and one 5.7 host; now I know those point releases become
> less and less important once the hosts are synced up to RHN. I know that
> most of the packages are the same version or close enough to it, but the
> product testers want to see the same version exactly. So is there a way to
> sync to RHN on a specific point release?

> NOTICE: This message, including all attachments, is intended for the use of
> the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
> information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure
> under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended
> recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message
> to its intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
> distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If
> you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender
> immediately by replying "Received in error" and immediately delete this
> message and all its attachments.

I ran into a similar problem. What I did was in QA, had one of the
boxes be my "golden" box. On that box I installed the yum-downloadonly
plugin, and ran the following command:
yum update --downloadonly --downloaddir=/var/updaterollup -y

This will pull down all updates to make the box current, and store
them in the /var/updaterollup directory (you will need to create it).
Then, you can copy this set of patches across each of your servers and
install. It guarantees that everything has the same version installed.
Thus far its worked pretty well, though occasionally RPM will bitch
that versions don't match. Given that its the same thing yum would
have run, you can probably safely force the installation.

We have been doing this but utilizing opsware/hp server automation to
deploy the packages. Usually the first remediation will install any
kernel updates and libraries, and then the second remediation will
install all other software.

HTH
-Matty