Patching Red-Hat to a specific version.

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Fri Dec 9 01:13:42 UTC 2011

> Hey guys and gals,
>
> This might be a simple question but it's in a scenario that I haven't had
> to deal with with before. I'm about to enter testing process where all of
> my (four) redhat boxes need to be the same version. Well right now I have
> three 5.6 hosts and one 5.7 host; now I know those point releases become
> less and less important once the hosts are synced up to RHN. I know that
> most of the packages are the same version or close enough to it, but the
> product testers want to see the same version exactly. So is there a way to
> sync to RHN on a specific point release?

You can download an ISO and boot from it (or a disc burned from it), and
"upgrade an existing Red Hat installation".

This will take you to the specific point release, as released by Red Hat
at the time the specific point release was put out.

This does, of course, require some downtime for the systems in question,
but then they'd still require some downtime when you rebooted for the
kernel upgrade.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org