mailx & "telnet localhost 25" syntax

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Fri Feb 18 14:04:18 UTC 2011

On 18/02/11 12:02, sunhux G wrote:
> Thunderbird client accepts IP address & the MTA's maillog has some
> indication it arrives but I currently has a different problem with the MTA.
>

> Would be good to elaborate with an example of HELO or EHLO & ... as
> the link Cameron provided was quite technical

HELO <client host/IP>
MAIL FROM:sender at remote_address
RCPT TO:recipient at local_address
RCPT TO:another_recipient at local_address
<more recipients if required>
DATA
The contents of the message, including headers.
Terminate data with "." on a line on its own
.
<repeat MAIL FROM, up to and including ., for additional messages>
QUIT

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555