ethtool - Link detected: no

Parvez Shaikh parvez.h.shaikh at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 09:31:02 UTC 2011

Hi all,

When I run ethtool against ethernet card, I get following output -

[root at datablade1 ~]# ethtool eth3
Settings for eth3:
        Supported ports: [ FIBRE ]
        Supported link modes:   1000baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  1000baseT/Full
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: Unknown!
        Duplex: Unknown! (255)
        Port: FIBRE
        PHYAD: 2
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: g
        Wake-on: g
*        Link detected: no*

Note "Link detected: no"; what does it mean?

When I do ethtool -t eth3, I get following output -

[root at datablade1 ~]# ethtool -t eth3
*The test result is FAIL*
The test extra info:
register_test (offline)  0
memory_test (offline)    0
loopback_test (offline)  0
nvram_test (online)      0
interrupt_test (online)  0
link_test (online)       1

Note "*The test result is FAIL", *somehow I believe the above two outputs
are interlinked (the test result is FAIL because link detected is 'No').

How to fix this to make test result pass and link detected to 'Yes'? For
other ethernet card I can see the test result passing and link detected is
'Yes'

Thanks
Parvez