tool to check security

Paul M. Whitney paul.whitney at me.com
Tue Feb 1 18:54:51 UTC 2011

ESG,

There are plenty of resources on the Internet that will provide the type of information you are seeking.  A commercial tool that is popular and I imagine expensive is RETINA.  It compares the content of your system against known vulnerabilities among other things.  (http://www.eeye.com/Products/Retina.aspx?src=AdWords&medium=PPC&campaign=brand-retina&kw=retina%20vulnerability%20scanner&ad=5752100123)

You can also look at NIST web pages for SCAP and OVAL for tools that may help you with securing your system.  And while I would not recommend following it to the letter, there is a huge amount of tips and suggestions in the NSA SNAC Guide available here:
http://www.nsa.gov/ia/_files/os/redhat/rhel5-guide-i731.pdf

You may also want to consider reading up on the NIST Common Criteria/Protection Profiles that companies such as HP and IBM have developed to secure their systems with an Evaluated Assurance Level of 4 (EAL4).

Lastly, not upgrading your system to the latest RHEL release is going to negate any efforts you apply to this system because there have been many updates to the OS that mitigate a great deal of these vulnerabilities.

Hopefully with all the input provided to this point will give you plenty to work with.

Paul