LVM Maximum Volume Size?

Matty Sarro msarro at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 18:16:17 UTC 2011

Out of curiousity, what is the maximum size volume that LVM can
handle? I know that it sits as a wedge between the actual logical
volume the system sees, and the hardware. Is there a limit?

At the moment we are looking at a maximum storage of 72TB for log
storage. My planned approach is to create a separate LUN and
disk-group for each folder on our log server, and then create a
logical volume and mount it under the FTP/NFS server's directory. Then
as more storage is needed, simply create a new LUN on the SAN, add it
as an LVM disk in the disk group for that particular folder, and let
LVM handle growing the logical volume. Is it bound to the same disk
max size as EXT3 (16TB)? Or is there another barrier to worry about?

Am i misunderstanding the capabilities of LVM?